Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Bed & Breakfast Love

I've long wanted to go to a bed & breakfast and it's just one of those things I never got around to booking or even planning for that matter. Our recent one year wedding anniversary was a perfect time to act on this "wish list" item.

Of course, I had no idea I was going on a bed & breakfast trip as Thomas surprised me with the trip. All I knew was that after my brother and sister-in-law's graduation, we were hitting the road. I was given the type of clothing to pack and off we went. My only wish for our anniversary destination is that it not be very far from Lansing and be very low-key as I was dealing with first trimester pregnancy blues (oh nausea, how I hate(d) thee, let me count the ways...).

Thomas took me to THEE most adorable bed & breakfast--The Pentwater Abbey--in a teeny tiny little town called Pentwater. Luckily, we were the only guests there so we had the whole place to ourselves, save for our adorable inn keeper, Karen.

When we arrived, we were greeted with this adorable, handwritten note on Karen's front door:



From that point on, we were treated to a wonderful, relaxing weekend with the most considerate, thoughtful host ever! I wanted to bring Karen home with us to make breakfast every day and be our live-in aunt who takes care of everything we need. She was wonderful!

Quaint view from our room of a portion of the garden
Cute little details :)


Our breakfast table

She made tons of delicious breakfast food.







 
While in Pentwater, other than sleeping, relaxing, spending quality time together and EATING, we strolled along the quaint, little town streets talking with the shopkeepers and doing some light shopping.
I loved the local barber shop's hours:


The best part about our stay is that our bed & breakfast was two blocks from the shore of Lake Michigan. 



And since we stayed through a Sunday night, we had the lovely shore front ALL TO OURSELVES. It was such a romantic weekend.




On our anniversary, we sat out at the table in Karen's garden, had a piece of cake from the top layer of our wedding cake and wrote eachother sweet notes, reflecting on our first year of marriage.



OK, we cheated a little on the cake thing. We both agreed that frozen cake is always disgusting and thusly ordered a small cake with the same exact flavors we had on our wedding cake from the same cake maker. And, I have no shame in saying it was simply delicious, darlings!




Me walking along the shore


Our bed & breakfast trip made me fall in love with the whole bed & breakfast thing. It doesn't seem like anything big or exciting when you first think about it, but that's exactly the beauty of it.

We all run around in the rat race of life and this kind of a getaway lets you decompress and truly get away and relax. This just may be my favorite new thing.

Some of my "dream" bed & breakfast getaways include a couple on the east coast, one of which is located in Martha's Vineyard and another in Peabbles, Maine:




Do these places not look dreamy? 

Cheers,
Samara 

No comments:

Post a Comment