Sunday, May 11, 2014

My First Mother's Day

I've always loved Mother's Day. The weather in Michigan is usually beginning to take a turn for the better, the sun is often shining and the trees and flowers are beginning to bloom. Couple all this beauty with a brunch and the giving of gifts to my mom and you have a rather splendid occasion. 

This year was even better as it was my first Mother's Day as a mom. OK, true enough, I was pregnant at this time last year. However, because we were not out of the baby closet, I wouldn't call last year my first Mother's Day, not in the least. 

First and foremost, I want to wish (once more!) a Happy Mother's Day to my mom, Jody. 

My mom getting sworn into office Dec 2011
Everyone says their mom is amazing, but I will seriously never understand how my mom did it. She raised two kids--one of whom was severely ill (my brother) and hospitalized for nearly two years in the beginning of his life--while working two jobs. She had no spouse, no child support and did it without any other form of monetary assistance. 

My mom was different from other moms. Fun, but not attempting to be our best friend. Teaching us to work hard, but to make sure to take a little time for leisure, too. Preaching that the world owes you nothing, but make sure to give to your fellow man. 

I have a deep respect and admiration for my mom. She was a fix-it mom, a pull-yourself-up-by-the-bootstraps kind of mom. She was strict, but loving. She equipped me for life in the most perfectly balanced manner. And she did it by just being her. That's a pretty awesome feat and I love her for it. 

Happy Mother's Day, Mom!!

This Mother's Day was even better because I celebrated it as a mother. My brother Adam said something to my mother many years ago on Mother's Day when he asked her to do something for him. She replied to his request with "It's Mother's Day!" My brother said (jokingly, of course) "Yeah, so get to being a mother!"  This Mother's Day started out just this way--me "gettin' to being a mother". 

It has become somewhat of a tradition in our family to have the little kids present a craft of some sort to not only the mothers, but also the aunts, on Mother's Day. This started out because the aunts were highly envious of the adorable crafts the mothers were getting from my cutie pie nieces. My brother and sister-in-law were sweet enough to start including the aunts (muahaha). Of course, this came back to bite me in the butt as we now have to pass the tradition on. (Ha!)

So, with a wiggly and fussy nearly-five-month old, the crafting commenced. 


It was a little touch-and-go there for awhile, but we survived. The end products were adorable mugs for his aunts and GG. Jackson's fingerprints made a flower on each mug. Everyone loved them and I think it was the perfect gift for a family full of coffee drinkers. Cheers!






Jackson also made a special gift for his Grandma Jody. 





 This was touch-and-go as well as it was bottle time. We managed to eek out the required photos, though, to create this...


And my nieces managed to give me, once again, the absolute most perfect and adorable gift....

A framed magnetic picture of all of the kids on Easter. They embellished the frame with gold sparkles. Oh, they are just so FAB! :)

 We also had a lovely brunch with the entire family at my Aunt Margaret's house. The weather could not have been more perfect!


My aunt completely spoiled the family will all sorts of delicious breakfast dishes. I only snapped a few pictures as people were waiting impatiently to eat. (Not that I blame them one bit!)




Thanks, Auntie Marg!!

Next, it was my turn to open up my Mother's Day gift.


 After opening up a beautiful card with my little guy, I unwrapped my present and found this.


A photo album made for me containing the first 136 days of Jackson's life, day by day. Inside the cover was this note.


I absolutely LOVE this gift!! It's sentimental and something special I will always have to remember the early days with my buddy. 

I enjoyed looking through pictures from the very first days....


.....to much more recent days.


After all the gifts were unwrapped and the food was devoured, we all enjoyed a little family time, conversation, playing with the kids and enjoying the late spring breeze drifting in from my aunt's back patio door. 



I wish all of the mothers out there a very beautiful and decadent Mother's Day. 

Cheers,
Samara

No comments:

Post a Comment